Tuesday, November 23, 2010

My Thanksgiving Recipes - Sausage & Apple Stuffing


Sausage Apple Mushroom Stuffing
This recipe came out of desperation.  My mother made the most perfect traditional turkey stuffing with Rainbow brand bread crumbs, onion, and celery.  When she died I tried several time to recreate the magic... to no avail.  So, one Thanksgiving when I was cooking for my wife's family and knew there was nothing to compare it to, I tried to concoct my own recipe with the help of my mother-in-law.  This is what we discovered together and just LOVE.

2 lb. sausage meat (Don't be afraid to use your favorite specialty sausage - not Italian or any that includes cheese.  I'm using apple artichoke this year!)
2 c. minced onion
2 c. pared, cored, diced apples (I like tart apples)
1 cup of chunked mushrooms (I like baby bella for more presence in the final product)
6 cups of stale sourdough bread cubes.  (Overnight on a tray is enough. Once I toasted them in the broiler for just a few minutes after being out all night.  Yummmmm!)
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. sage
1/2 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. marjoram
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp. curry powder (yes really!)

Rub cavity of turkey with salt.
Break sausage into small pieces and fry in large skillet over moderate heat about 5 minutes. Then, before the sausage is fully cooked, add onion and cook until tender, about 10 minutes on low medium heat. Add apples, and mushrooms turning over the mix for a few minutes as you add all the remaining seasonings. After 5 minutes, remove from heat and stir into your bread crumbs.   I like to let these ingredients sit together and meld for a couple of hours before I stuff and roast my turkey.

(Resist the temptation to add more liquid to this mixture.  The apples and mushrooms will continue to release their moisture as they cook.)

If you would like you can stir in a 1/2 cup of melted butter (only to the portion you are going to stuff into the bird) for a richer flavor.  Stuff turkey loosely and sew or skewer neck and body cavity.  (Oh, make sure one of the bay leaves makes it into the turkey.)

Rub skin of your turkey with fat, butter, or oil. Place in oven. Roast at 320 degrees uncovered 4 to 4 1/2 hours for a 12-14 lb. turkey, basting occasionally. Makes 10-12 servings.

To cook the remaining stuffing, bring about 1/2 cup of chicken broth to a brisk boil in a large pan.  Add 2 T. butter.  Then, remove from heat and pour in the remaining stuffing and stir constantly until all moisture is evenly distributed.  Cover and let sit for about 30 minutes before serving.

Remove both bay leaves before you serve this dressing.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP