Sunday, November 21, 2010

Foot-In-Mouth Disease

Man I hate it when words come out of my mouth and say something that I don't mean.  This usually happens when I am nervous.  And I am usually nervous when I'm trying to impress someone.  I think that is the real sting of foot-in-mouth.  It materializes causing embarrassment at just the moment when you want the polar opposite to happen.

A couple of weeks ago I had a HUGE foot in mouth moment.  I was sharing the epic story in San Bernardino at the missions banquet of the church that I once pastored.  The current pastor gave me the place of honor in the speaking line-up (which I was not expecting).  He then introduced with incredible grace and generosity (which is always embarrassing to me - it's very difficult for me to receive thanks or compliments publicly).  Following the introduction, embarrassment rose up to completely cloud my mind and coincidentally my children entered the room from the childcare facility causing me to wonder if they had been misbehaving.  Then out of my mouth slipped a coy response to one of the pastor's comments that instead of sounding light and encouraging, sounded slight and critical.  I wanted to shrink back into my chair and disappear.  However, I had to make my presentation and do it clearly within 3-5 minutes.

Well, I think I took about 23 minutes to talk my way into lucid thought again and then finally resorted to telling the 3 stories of epic members that most clearly represented the epic mission.  Those stories restored order and foundation to the moment, and when they were done I made a quick exit.  On Sunday morning I had the chance to redeem myself with another brief presentation and I think I managed to avoid a relapse.

Thanks to San Bernardino Community Church for 4 1/2 years of faithful financial support of the epic mission.  We are so thankful for your investment and will continue to guard that investment by fervently pursuing the mission God called us here for.  Thank you pastor Sam for your kindness and love.  Thank you for your faithful shepherding of a flock that continues to mean a great deal to me.  I honor and respect you for your faithful service to God in San Bernardino for the world-wide cause of Christ.

(Why didn't those words come out of my mouth under pressure?)

0 comments:

  © Blogger template Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP